Recycling and Leaf Collection
Recycling and leaf collection is available to single family homes and townhouses.
The City contracts with a private hauler for the collection of newspapers, mixed paper, corrugated cardboard, and commingled cans, glass containers and plastic bottles. The recycling contractor also collects brush, branches, grass clippings, leaves and other yard trimmings when placed in biodegradable brown paper bags and set at the curb on regularly scheduled recycling days.
The City has a loose leaf pick up program to collect leaves raked to the curb in the spring and fall each year. Fall collection takes place from the last week in October through the last week in December. Spring collection generally occurs between the last week in March and the first two weeks in April.
Solid Waste Disposal
Regular trash and garbage collection
for City residents is handled by private contractors.
Holiday trees are collected from single family homes and townhouses by the City contractor when placed at the curb on your recycling day.
Regular trash and garbage collection for City residents is handled by private
contractors; however, the City does provide monthly bulk refuse collection to single family homes and townhouses for
those large items that private collectors will not accept. These items include
heavy electrical appliances, furniture and other large household items.
Call 301-258-6370 for more information.
|General Instructions for Recycling
- Collection is provided to single family homes and townhouses once per week on your recycling day.
- Recyclables must be at the curb by 7 a.m. when collection begins.
The times collectors are at your home may vary.
- Items will not be collected unless they are placed behind the curb, clear
of utility poles, cars, trees and other obstructions. Please do not block
- Keep materials away from cable and phone boxes.
- The City does not collect hazardous household materials such as paint, insecticides, car batteries, etc. Call 311, Montgomery County's phone number for non-emergency government information and services, for information on disposing of these items. Hours of operation are Monday through Friday, 7 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- Items improperly prepared will not be collected.
- Preparing items for City pick up.
- Please note: The City of Gaithersburg does not provide regular
weekly refuse collection services. Homeowners associations and individual
homeowners must make their own arrangements with private refuse haulers. Listings
are available in the Yellow Pages.
|Once Per Month Bulk Pick Up
The City provides once per month bulk pick up to single family homes and townhouses.
- Large Appliances - Collected by City crews on your first recycling day of the month. Doors should be removed or secured so they cannot be opened.
- Large Household Items - Acceptable items collected by City crews on your first recycling day of the month.
- Bulk items must be separated from regular refuse and marked "Bulk Pick Up" Items improperly prepared will not be collected.
- More information
|When a Holiday Falls on a Recycling Day
For recycling (newspaper, mixed paper, corrugated cardboard, and commingled materials, collected by the City recycling contractor) the following schedule applies:
- Memorial Day - If Monday, May 27, 2013, is your recycling day, it will be picked up on Saturday, May 25, 2013.
- Independence Day - If Thursday, July 4, 2013, is your recycling day, it will be picked up on Saturday, July 6, 2013.
- Labor Day - If Monday, September 2, 2013, is your recycling day, it will be picked up on Saturday, August 31, 2013.
- Thanksgiving - If Thursday, November 28, 2013, is your recycling day, it will be picked up on Saturday, November 30, 2013.
- Christmas - If Wednesday, December 25, 2013, is your recycling day, it will be picked up on Saturday, December 28, 2013.
- New Year's Day 2014 - If Tuesday, January 1, 2014, is your recycling day, it will be picked up on Saturday, January 4, 2014.
For bulk pick-up items collected by City staff:
- Bulk items are collected by City crews on your first recycling day of the month. When your bulk pickup day falls on a holiday when City offices are closed bulk items will be picked up on the same day the following week.
Regular trash and garbage collection:
- Regular trash and garbage collection for City residents is handled by private contractors. Please contact your HOA or your private contractor regarding the holiday collection schedule for these materials.