The Community Services Officer (CSO) serves as the focal point for communication between the citizens and the police department and facilitates a cohesive and proactive approach to problem solving by the department. The CSO accomplishes this by identifying community concerns; developing strategies to address those concerns; accessing the appropriate agency, department, or personnel with the resources to positively affect a resolution; and evaluating the effectiveness of those efforts on an ongoing basis by following up with community and staff members regularly.
The Community Services Officer, as part of his/her proactive approach, performs a variety of crime prevention strategies such as:
- Residential Home Security Surveys
- Commercial Security Surveys
- Safety Presentations
- Youth activities
- Providing informational handouts
- Coordinating the City's Neighborhood Watch Program
- Conducting a Youth Police Academy and a Citizen Police Academy
- Coordinating National Night Out Against Crime activities
- Community Speaking events
- Check on Patrols
- The Watch Your Car Program
- Attend community meetings such as HOA meetings and Council in the Community meetings.
The Gaithersburg Police Department is no longer handling bicycle registration. Montgomery County prefers all registrations be made online with the Montgomery County Bicycle Registration System - www.montgomerycountymd.gov/apps/police/enterbicycle.asp.
The Gaithersburg Police Department does not provide statistics for locations within the City of Gaithersburg. By clicking on the below link, you can type in the desired location and the site will provide you with calls for service that officers have responded to.