Strategic Plan for FY2014
The FY14 Strategic Plan was adopted at the May 20, 2013 Mayor and City Council meeting. The fiscal year runs from July 1, 2013 to June 30, 2014.
The Strategic Plan guides the City Manager in developing the proposed operating and capital budgets and helps City departments create their work plans. The Plan also helps residents understand the City's goals and how they will be addressed.
There are ten directions within the Strategic Plan, including City Administration, Communication, Community Services, Economic Development, Infrastructure & Facilities, Parks, Recreation & Culture, Planning & Development, Police, Sustainability, and Transportation.
Strategic Plan Overview:
- Provide the highest levels of resident, visitor and business services through the continual enhancement of administrative and support functions.
- Ensure effective and consistent communication activities with residents, businesses and visitors using new technologies and innovative approaches that ensure transparency and encourage dialogue.
- Community Services strengthens the community by caring for the needs and safety of all City residents through the support of area nonprofits and schools, the collaborative implementation of community educational events, supporting affordable housing and financial wellness strategies, and by identifying emerging needs.
- Actively pursue economic and business development strategies to support a growing and sustainable economic base; ensuring the financial resources needed to improve the quality of life, fund services, and provide a of diversity of job opportunities to City residents.
- Maintain and improve the City's existing infrastructure, public facilities and capital assets in a sustainable, cost-effective manner, and invest in new facilities and real property in support of the City's strategic goals.
- Provide quality parks, well-planned, sustainable facilities, and diverse cultural, artistic and recreational opportunities for all ages and interests to promote the health and well being of residents and visitors.
- Ensure all planning and development be built and maintained in a high quality manner that utilizes sustainable principles to maintain the high quality of life enjoyed by residents and businesses, while balancing environmental, transportation, economic, social and civic needs.
- The Gaithersburg Police Department safeguards the lives of those within the City, enforces the laws and ordinances of the State of Maryland and the City of Gaithersburg, protects property, maintains the safe and orderly flow of traffic, and assists in securing, for all persons, equal protection of the law.
- Meet the needs of the City in a manner that accurately reflects the community's desire for social equity, environmental health, and economic prosperity without compromising future generations' ability to meet these same needs.
- Implement transportation planning and management strategies to provide for a safe and convenient multi-modal transportation system.
View the FY 2013 Strategic Plan (pdf file)