Gaithersburg FY2013 Budget Adopted, Available for Online Viewing as of July 20, 2012
The City of Gaithersburg FY2013 budget, adopted by the Mayor and City Council on June 4, 2012, will be available for viewing on the City’s website as of July 20, 2012. The $51,504,183 budget, which represents a 7.3% increase compared to the FY2012 budget, will take effect on July 1, 2012.
Along with the budget, the Mayor and City Council also adopted the City’s Strategic Plan for FY2013, and a comprehensive fee schedule for the City of Gaithersburg. This schedule includes a listing of all fees, charges, fines, and forfeitures as provided in the ordinances of the City of Gaithersburg.
“Guided by a well thought out five year plan, the FY2013 budget effectively keeps us on track to meet our long range objectives and allows us to continue to address the needs of a community that is accustomed to and deserving of excellence,” said City Manager Angel L. Jones.
Key elements of the FY2013 budget include:
- A 3.6% cost of living increase for qualifying full time employees.
- The restoration of four full time positions and the creation of six new full time positions across the City.
- An increase in the authorized strength of the Gaithersburg Police Department from 54 to 57 officers.
- Increased funding for nonprofit organizations that offer safety net and youth development services through a combination of contracts, grants and contingency funds.
- Restoration of full funding for the replacement of vehicles and equipment.
- Increased funding for inspections and environmental services.
- Funding at the recommended level for Other Post Employment Benefits.
The adopted budget and a detailed summary by City Manager Jones will be available at www.gaithersburgmd.gov/budget as of July 20, 2012. The comprehensive fee schedule is available now.
Each year the City submits its budget to the Government Finance Officers Association (GFOA) for review and grading, ensuring that the document meets the requirements for Certificate of Recognition in Budget Preparation. The GFOA budget, which takes several weeks to prepare, will include in depth information on the City, demographics, financial reporting, per capita information, as well as statistics. This is the version that will be available on the City’s website.
For more information please contact the Office of Finance and Administration at 301-258-6320.