Frequently Asked Questions
How do I know if I live in the City limits?
- The City of Gaithersburg generally provides services within its 9.9 square mile corporate limits; however, not all postal addresses listed as Gaithersburg are within the City limits. To find out if you are a Gaithersburg resident call the Gaithersburg Planning and Code Administration at 301-258-6330.
Who do I call for police service the City?
- Call 911 for life threatening emergencies and 301-279-8000 for all other police requests. The officers of the Gaithersburg Police Department are dispatched through the Montgomery County Police communications center, in the same manner as County Police officers. If a City officer is not available, a County officer is dispatched. In many instances when response by two officers is appropriate, City and County officers are dispatched for the same call.
When are City elections and how do I register to vote?
City Election Page
The next City Election will be Tuesday, November 5, 2013. Elections are held on the first Tuesday after the first Monday in November on odd numbered years.
City residents who are registered to vote in the County are also able to vote in any City election. Voter registration is handled by the Montgomery County Board of Elections at 240-777-8500. For other questions about City Elections contact the Office of the City Manager at CityElections@gaithersburgmd.gov or call 301-258-6310.
How are my City property taxes calculated?
The City's real property tax rate is $.262 per $100 of assessed value. Personal property tax rate is $.53 per $100 of assessed value. Property tax is calculated by multiplying the tax rate (per $100) by the property's assessed value. The assessed value of property tax is 100 percent of its estimated full cash value. Any tax bill inquires, or inquires about other tax rates for the County, should be referred to 240-777-8950.
Are passports available at City Hall?
- Passport applications are processed by appointment only at City Hall.
Passports will only be processed on Monday through Friday from 8:30 a.m. - 1:30 p.m.
Applicants will need proof of United States citizenship in the form of a certified birth certificate or a naturalization certificate. Proof of identity in the form of a drivers license or government identification card will also be required. Applicants will also need two identical passport photographs (2"x2" in size, black and white or color, clear front view, full face without hat or dark glasses). If you have questions or need to schedule an appointment, please call 301-258-6330.
More passport information.
Are pets required to have City licenses?
- The licensing of animals is administered by the City of Gaithersburg's Animal Control Office at City Hall. All cats and dogs older than four months of age must be vaccinated against rabies and licensed with the City. Discount fees are available to senior citizens and recipients of public assistance. Questions can be mailed to firstname.lastname@example.org or call 301-258-6343.
Does the City offer recycling and garbage collection?
- Recycling, leaf collection and bulk pickup services are offered by the City of Gaithersburg. The City contracts with a private hauler for the collection of paper, cardboard, cans, glass and plastic bottles. City crews collect branches, grass, leaves and other yard trimmings. These services are provided for residents of single family homes and townhouses.
Regular garbage collection must be handled by private contractors; however, the City does provide monthly bulk refuse collection for those large items that private collectors will not accept.
Questions can be directed to email@example.com or call 301-258-6370.
Do any organizations offer English Classes in Gaithersburg ?
- A number of organizations in the City offer ESOL (English as a second language) classes. Click here for a listing of organizations offering classes, or contact the Gaithersburg Human Services Office at firstname.lastname@example.org or 301-258-6399.