City Code: Sec. 11-8. Smoke detection.
City Code - Smoke Detection
- Smoke detection devices in operable condition shall be installed and maintained in all single-family and multi-family residential dwelling(s) in accordance with the State of Maryland Fire Prevention Code and the following additional requirements:
- Approved single station smoke detectors shall be installed and maintained in operable condition in the following locations:
- All bedrooms and sleeping areas; and
- Any hallway or other enclosed area in the immediate vicinity of the bedroom(s) and sleeping area(s); and
- On each level of the dwelling, including basements and cellars but not including unoccupied attics or garages.
- Smoke detectors powered by the building electrical system shall have battery power as a second power source.
- Unless another state or local fire prevention code or building code or similar governmental code requires detectors to be powered by the building electrical service, smoke detectors installed in order to comply with this section of the Code may have battery power as the primary power source, and a secondary source is not required.
- Any existing residential dwelling or dwelling unit which does not comply with this section on the date this section becomes effective [March 13, 2001], shall have a period of ninety (90) days from such effective date to comply with the provisions of section 11-8A. above.
(Ord. No. O-3-01, 2-20-01)