Explore and read the top news stories in Gaithersburg. View archived press releases here.
Veterans Day Closures
Most City facilities will be closed on November 11, select facilities will be open. Recycling will be collected as scheduled.
In observance of Veterans Day, most City facilities will be closed on Monday, November 11, 2019, with the exception of the following:
- The Activity Center will open from noon to 10 p.m.
- Youth Centers will open from noon to 6 p.m.
- The Aquatic Center will open from 5:15 to 8:30 p.m.
- Casey Community Center will open from 5:30 to 8:30 p.m. for rentals & classes.
- Police Department Administrative Offices will open from 8 a.m. to 9 p.m.
- The collection of recycled materials will take place as scheduled.
Veterans Day Observance
The entire community is invited to join the City for its annual Veterans Day Observance on Monday, November 11, to honor and recognize all U.S. military personnel who play an important role in safeguarding our nation and our future. The observance takes place at 11 a.m. at the City Hall Concert Pavilion. City officials & members of local veterans groups will be on hand to honor those who have served in all branches of the military. Officials, veterans and community organizations will also participate in a solemn wreath laying ceremony, followed by a reception inside City Hall. Joining the observance will be special guest speaker Colonel (Ret.) David Rhodes, a graduate of the United States Air Force Academy.
Donations of household items to assist homeless veterans will be gratefully accept at the event. This effort is coordinated by the VFW.