Built in 1895, the house was purchased in 1910 by Edward P. Schwartz, who established a famous peony garden that stretched from the railroad tracks to what is now Hutton Street. It included 410 varieties of peonies and more than 10,000 plants. The estate was purchased by the City in 1958 for a civic center. Restored in 1989, the house and addition serve as the center of the City government. In 1995 it was officially named the Sanford W. Daily Municipal Center upon the retirement of a City Manager who retired after 27 years of service.
The grounds of City Hall include the Concert Pavilion, which is used throughout the seasonal months for concerts, performances and festivals. Griffith Park is also located on City Hall grounds, and includes a basketball court, tot lot and picnic pavilion that is available for rent. Inside City Hall are the Mayor and City Council Chambers and a Gallery that is used for meetings and receptions.