Gaithersburg will be a City that:
- Lives by the Six Pillars of CHARACTER COUNTS! (trustworthiness, respect, responsibility, fairness, caring, and citizenship).
- Has retained the best qualities of a small town and respects its heritage, while embracing the opportunities that new technologies, programs, and concepts in urban design provide.
- Has involved and supportive citizens and businesses reflecting the diversity of the community.
- Has a fiscally conservative, proactive government.
- Has safe, livable neighborhoods with a variety of housing types and styles served by diverse transportation options.
- Has excellent learning opportunities that meet the needs of the community.
- Has attractive and beautifully maintained parks and public places.
- Has citizens and institutions that value cultural diversity and seeks ways to promote involvement from all cultural groups.
- Has many leisure time activities that meet the needs of the community.
- Has citizens with a strong sense of community and individual responsibility.
- Has a natural environment that is protected, respected and enhanced.
- Has strong partnerships to meet the needs of the community.
- Has a community that encourages individual health and wellness.
City Guiding Principles
The Gaithersburg City government is guided by the Six Pillars of CHARACTER COUNTS! (trustworthiness, respect, responsibility, fairness, caring, and citizenship) as demonstrated by:
We actively pursue the identification of citizen needs through citizen involvement to provide effective service to our community with efficiency, accountability and a caring attitude.
We promote honest, open communication and easy access to information.
We strive to improve the quality and efficiency of City services through creative approaches and new, cost-effective technologies.
We provide quality services, of the best value, to effectively meet the needs of our community while maintaining a pay-as-you-go philosophy.
We promote a spirit of fairness, trustworthiness, respect, and teamwork among our elected officials, City employees, residential and business communities, neighboring jurisdictions, and other governmental agencies.
Commitment to Excellence
We have the responsibility to our citizens to strive to achieve excellence in all we do.
We advocate good citizenship and support the freedom to actively pursue suggestions, ideas and creative approaches, leading to continuous improvement.