All dogs and cats four months of age and older must be continuously vaccinated against rabies and licensed annually.
- The fine for an unvaccinated pet is $250.
- The fine for an unlicensed pet is $100.
- Completed registration form
- Copy of a current rabies certificate
- Spay/neuter certificate from a veterinarian or signed spay/neuter affidavit
- Appropriate fee (see schedule below). Check or money order must be payable to the City of Gaithersburg. Cash may be used only when application is submitted in person.
* Reduced fees apply to pet owners receiving public assistance and senior citizens (age 55 and older). No discount for seniors on unaltered pets.
** Juvenile fees apply to pets under one year of age. A current rabies certificate indicating a juvenile status must be submitted.
To obtain a pet license tag you may apply in person at City Hall during business hours, Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., or you may mail the application to:
City of Gaithersburg, Animal Control
31 South Summit Avenue
Gaithersburg, Maryland, 20877
Application will be processed and the license tag will be sent to you by mail.