The Community Services Division is:
- The values of equity, inclusion, justice, and the Pillars of CHARACTER COUNTS! (Trustworthiness, Respect, Responsibility, Fairness, Caring, and Citizenship)
Pledges to be:
- Welcoming, culturally inclusive, confidential, comprehensive and empowering, with a focus on community education.
- Catalysts for economic security, social equity and capacity building.
- Promote a community where all can pursue their full potential.
- Be a highly organized team and collaborative partner.
- All individuals, families and communities within the City of Gaithersburg, including City staff.
- Community-based agencies, schools, congregations and businesses that support our residents.
The Division implements and supports assistance programs encompassing interim case management, community outreach, and education, housing counseling, financial wellness, emergency assistance and safety net services, and provides resources and referrals to City residents in need.
It has access to a large network of agencies and organizations to which City residents can be referred for assistance.
It also assists nonprofit organizations, schools, the faith-based community, and other community-based organizations dedicated to working with City residents by facilitating the development of collaborative partnerships, offering training and workshops, distributing information, coordinating volunteer opportunities, and convening local coalitions, including the Gaithersburg Coalition of Providers and the Hoarding Task Force, to ensure the effective and efficient delivery of services.
The City's Educational Enrichment and Community Advisory Committees are associated with this Division, and nonprofit and school grants are also coordinated through this activity area. Funding focuses on support in the areas of Education, Health, Mental Health, Food and Nutrition, Emergency Assistance, Housing Assistance, and Financial and Workforce Development.
Programs & Resources
Bank On Gaithersburg
Financial education and empowerment, including budget coaching and free tax preparation.
- CHARACTER COUNTS! Program
The CHARACTER COUNTS! program is an ethics education program that people of all cultures, races and religious affiliations can embrace.
- Community Assistance
The City provides information, referrals & navigation assistance for a myriad of services offered by local, federal and state agencies and nonprofit organizations, especially in the areas of housing, nutrition, health & mental health.
- Hoarding Task Force The mission of the Gaithersburg Hoarding Task Force is to assist and support those people & their families who are in need as a result of hoarding behaviors.
- Holiday Giving
The City's Holiday Giving Program is part of Montgomery County’s Holiday Giving Project. For the past 20 years the Community Services Division has coordinated the delivery of food and gifts for the Thanksgiving & December Holidays to resident families.
- Homeless Services
The Homeless Services Division is responsible for homeless advocacy, community education on homelessness, outreach services, housing, and linking homeless individuals to needed services.