July 4 Notice
Bulk pick up scheduled for Friday, July 3, will be collected Friday, July 10.

City COVID-19 Notices
Phase 2 reopening begins week of July 6.
      • Notices, Closure & Cancellation Information (updated 7/7/2020 2:45 p.m.)
      • Emergency Assistance, Resources & Volunteer Opportunities (updated 7/7/2020 2:40 p.m.)


Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option
The City will allow public access to select municipal facilities by appointment only starting June 15. A comprehensive Phased Service Restoration Plan is now in place. The document outlines what our residents can expect to see in each phase, and what will be expected of you when we once again welcome your interaction with our employees. The plan will be updated as the situation changes, with a primary focus on the health and safety of our staff & residents as we gradually return to a "new normal."

For licenses & permits set to expire during the COVID-19 state of emergency, the expiration date will be extended for a period of 30 days after the state of emergency is terminated.

To apply for or renew a license, please either mail in any necessary documentation & payment via USPS to City of Gaithersburg, 1st Floor Licensing Office, 31 South Summit Avenue, Gaithersburg, MD, 20877, or email your request with your phone number to and staff will contact you for payment.

For more information, email Note that response times may be delayed due to limited employee coverage. Your patience & understanding are appreciated.

Listed below are the licensing requirements in the City of Gaithersburg. Permits are also required for building (electrical and grading), signs, fences, decks, renovations and use and occupancy. Other licensing requirements for builders and trades in the City are listed at the bottom of this page.

Applications for Licenses Purpose of License Responsible City Division
Amusement Machine License A license to operate an amusement machine.

Neighborhood Services

Commercial Kennel License A license to operate a kennel.

Animal Control

Dog Exercise Area License A license for non-residents to use the Dog Exercise Area.

Animal Control

Donation Box Permit License A license to put a Donation Box on a property, Neighborhood Services
Electrician License Anyone doing electrical work on a building they do not own must be licensed with the City.More information on Electricians Licenses below. Planning and Code Administration
Fire Systems License (No application) An annual license to operate fire protection systems located in commercial properties.
Permits and Inspections
Home Based Business License A license to operate a business out of your residence. Neighborhood Services
Litter License - Dog and Cat A license to breed dogs or cats. Animal Control
Mobile Food Vendor License A license to sell food from a truck or street cart. Neighborhood Services
Pet License - Dog and Cat All dogs and cats four months of age and older must be continuously vaccinated against rabies and licensed annually.
Animal Control
Pet Shop License A license to operate a pet shop. Animal Control
Single Family Rental Housing License

Multi-Family Rental Housing License

Rooming House License

Hotel/Motel License
All rental properties (including apartments and single-family dwellings) must be licensed every two years. Prior to issuing the final rental license, staff conducts a complete interior and exterior inspection to ensure the dwelling is safe and in compliance with all applicable housing codes.
More information
Neighborhood Services
Solicitor License A license to sell merchandise door to door. Neighborhood Services

Other Licensing Requirements for Builders and Trades in the City

MHIC License

A MHIC License (Maryland Home Improvement Commission) is required for anyone and everyone who does building work on someone else’s home. If you’re working on someone else’s home, whether it’s a single-family house, townhouse, condo, or some other kind of dwelling, as long as they own it, you are required by the State of Maryland law to have a valid, current, MHIC license. (Title 8, Business Regulation, Annotated Code of Maryland, Sections 8-100 through 8-702)

Note: A MHIC license does entitle the bearer to do commercial construction. It does not, however, entitle the bearer to construct a new home in Montgomery County, including Gaithersburg. It also does not cover any licensed trade work.

Building Contractor’s License/Montgomery County

A person constructing any type of new residence in Montgomery County, including Gaithersburg, must have a current Montgomery County Building Contractor’s License. This includes single family homes, townhouses, duplexes and the like, and condominiums. (Montgomery County Code, Chapter 31C)

State of Maryland License - Construction

State of Maryland law requires anyone who does construction business in Maryland to have a state license. Therefore, other than those who do home improvement work and have a MHIC License, all builders who do any type of construction must have a State of Maryland License for construction. (Title 8, Business Regulation, Annotated Code of Maryland, Subtitle 6. Construction, Sections 17-601 through 17- 603). Please take note that this includes new homebuilders in Montgomery County. They must also have either a MHIC license or a State of Maryland Construction license in addition to their Montgomery County Building Contractor’s License.

Electricians Licenses

In the City of Gaithersburg, anyone doing electrical work on a building they do not own must be licensed with the City. The City recognizes State of Maryland and any Maryland county Master electrician’s licenses. The fee in Gaithersburg for a Master Electricians license and/or a Master Limited License is $175 for a two (2) year period. Renewal fees for the same are also $175 for a two (2) year period. The Master Limited License generally refers to those doing low voltage work, which does require a permit in the City. (City of Gaithersburg Code, Chapter 7, Electricity)

Plumbers and Gasfitters Licenses

Anyone doing plumbing and/or gasfitting in the City of Gaithersburg must be licensed with the Washington Suburban Sanitary Commission (WSSC). Homeowners can only do plumbing work specified in Section 207.1 of The WSSC Plumbing and Gasfitting Regulations. Under the WSSC Code, homeowners are not allowed to do gasfitting work of any kind.

State of Maryland HVACR License

The State of Maryland requires anyone doing construction or providing services in the areas of heating, ventilation, air conditioning and refrigeration, whether the work is commercial, residential, or both, to have a current State of Maryland HVACR license. The City of Gaithersburg therefore requires anyone doing work in these areas to display a current HVACR license before a permit will be issued. (Title 9A, Business Regulation, Annotated Code of Maryland, Sections 9A-101 through 9A-602)

State of Maryland Sprinkler Contractor’s License

Any and all work involving automatic fire sprinkler systems, regardless of whether or not a permit is required, must be performed by a contractor holding a current State of Maryland Sprinkler License. A City of Gaithersburg Fire Protection Permit is required for all alterations of existing sprinkler systems and any installation of new sprinkler systems, except for limited area systems having 10 or fewer sprinklers. Regardless of whether or not a permit is required, the sprinkler contractor must complete a Contractor’s Material and Test Certificate for the work performed and provide a copy to the City of Gaithersburg. (Article 38A, Section 3, Annotated Code of Maryland, Title 29, Subtitle 06, Chapter 5 - Fire Sprinkler Contractor Licensing Regulations)