City COVID-19 Notices
Phase 2 reopening begins week of July 6.
      • Notices, Closure & Cancellation Information (updated 7/10/2020 1:33 p.m.)
      • Emergency Assistance, Resources & Volunteer Opportunities (updated 7/10/2020 1:30 p.m.)

Permitting & Inspections

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option
Gaithersburg has entered Phase 2 of its Phased Service Restoration Plan. City Hall is open for walk-in services.  

The City is accepting Temporary Outdoor Seating for Restaurants & Curbside Pickup Permits for restaurants & retailers during the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic.

Information on new applications, renewals & inspections.

For more information, email Note that response times may be delayed due to limited employee coverage. Your patience & understanding are appreciated.

The division provides permitting and inspection services for all construction including building, electrical, mechanical, fire systems, grading and sediment control, forest conservation, new road construction, storm drains, and storm water management, improvements for the purpose of public safety and ensuring quality private and public infrastructure.

Do I Need a Permit?

The key to knowing if a project needs a building permit is to determine if the work planned can realistically be called maintenance or not. Permits are generally NOT required for maintenance or aesthetic changes like painting, new roof shingles, window replacement of the same sizes, etc., unless the property is located in the Historic District. However, once the work description involves terms such as constructing, enlarging, altering, moving or removing, demolishing, etc., then chances are very good that a building permit will be required. In addition, permits are required for all electrical, mechanical/HVAC, fire protection, site development, tree removal and sign installation/modification, sheds, decks, patios that change the drainage pattern, and interior remodeling work.

Use and Occupancy Permits are required for all commercial businesses. This includes existing businesses that change name or ownership. Commercial tenant spaces cannot be occupied until a request for Use and Occupancy is issued AND a field Use and Occupancy inspection is approved.

Special Events held that generate or invite public participation and/or spectators resulting in an impact on public streets, sidewalks, public lands, public facilities, adjacent private properties are required to apply for a Special Events Permit. The Special Event Policy is designed to standardize events held are executed with the safety and health of the participants, the protection of public property, and the impact on non-participating citizens is taken into account.

Certain applications have specific digital submission requirements that need to be followed. Details of these requirements and sample files can be found in the documents section.

Residential Permits

View all required City residential permits.

Commercial Permits

View all required City commercial permits.

General Permits

View all required general City permits.

Fire Protection Permits

View all required fire protection permits.

Bonds and Covenants

A list of all required City bonds and covenants.