Regular trash and garbage collection for City residents is handled by private contractors; however, the City provides monthly bulk refuse collection to single family homes and townhouses for large items that private collectors will not accept. These items include heavy electrical appliances, furniture and other large household items.
When does Bulk Pick Up take place?
- Bulk pick up takes place once a month, on your first recycling day of the month.
- If that day occurs on a holiday when City offices are closed, then bulk pick up will be rescheduled to the same day on the following week.
How to prepare items for collection:
- Items must be clearly labeled “Bulk Pick Up” or placed in labeled containers.
- Materials placed in plastic bags will not be collected.
- Items improperly prepared will not be collected.
- Contractor debris will not be collected.
Where to place items for collection by City crews:
- Items must be placed at your street curb by 7 AM on your first recycling day of the month.
- Bulk pick up items placed in alleys or mews will not be collected.
- Items must be labeled “Bulk Pick Up” and separated from regular refuse.
Before throwing out items, please consider other ways to donate, reuse or recycle. For additional information, please contact Montgomery County by calling 311 (this is Montgomery County’s phone number for non-emergency government information and services) or visit the Montgomery County 311 website.
Large household items accepted:
For safety reasons, please secure or remove doors so they cannot be opened.
Acceptable items include: Furniture, bedsprings, mattresses, rugs, large toys, televisions, computers, nonmetal sinks, tubs, and toilets, and small amounts of remodeling debris (piles less than 4’x 4’ x 8’ in size). Contractor debris will not be collected.
Scrap metal accepted:
Predominantly metal materials must be separated for special scrap metal recycling collection.
Acceptable items include: Metal washers, dryers, refrigerators, air conditioners, dishwashers, sinks, stoves, freezers, furnaces, iron furniture, lawn mowers, doors, cabinets, bikes, and disassembled swing sets. Contractor debris will not be collected.
Oversized yard waste:
Please contact the Public Works Department at 301-258-6370 for information about removal of oversized yard waste that cannot be collected during the weekly recycling service. Contractor debris will not be collected.