The City encourages residents to use the oil & antifreeze recycling building that is designed to promote clean and easy use.
Instructions for Use
- For use by City residents only.
- Curbside collection is not available.
- Accepts oil & antifreeze for recycling (5 gallon limit).
- Please keep motor oil & antifreeze separate.
- Please deposit liquids only. Leaves & other materials will clog the holding tank.
- Businesses should contact a commercial oil/antifreeze recycler and request direct pickup from their business.
- Non-City residents, please call 311, Montgomery County’s phone number for non-emergency government information and services, for oil & antifreeze disposal guidelines.
The biggest challenge of non-point source pollution is prevention. Many do not realize that when it rains, the water, pollutants, and debris in your gutters, parking lots & streets enter the storm drain and directly drain into local streams, into the Potomac River, and eventually into the Chesapeake Bay.
When performing vehicle maintenance, remember that oil & antifreeze are toxic to humans, plants and animals. It is illegal to dump used automobile fluids down drains, storm drains, or on the ground. Just a quart of oil can contaminate up to 250,000 gallons of drinking water or create a two-acre oil slick. It has been estimated that every three weeks, more oil is deposited on driveways & streets in the United States than the Exxon Valdez Oil spill in Alaska.